Congratulations on the birth of your child! The Parish Community shares in your joy.
We look forward to welcoming your child into our Catholic Christian faith community. Parents are the first educators in faith of their children.
Baptism is one of the three sacraments of Christian initiation – along with Confirmation and the Eucharist – which lay the foundations of every Christian life.
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to the life of the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God. We become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church, and made shares in her mission. “Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.”
Details on Adult Baptism are below.
Your Child’s Baptism
The Programme for Baptism spans a period of three months in advance of the Baptism Liturgy.
Please read Celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism and read more information on the Sacrament of Baptism below.
If you wish to present your child for Baptism into the Faith Community, we invite you to a “Meet and Greet Sunday” where you will meet members of the Baptism Ministry Team and hear about our preparation for Baptism.
We look forward to welcoming your child into the faith community and supporting you on this journey.
How the Church sees Baptism
Baptism is a sacrament of faith, but faith must grow after baptism. Thus, the important roles of parents and godparents, who as believers are able and ready to help the newly baptised on the road of Christian life. Through Baptism we enter into a unique relationship with Jesus Christ, Saviour and Redeemer.
Parents, by following the gestures and words of this celebration through thoughtful reflection and attentive participation, renew the promise of their own baptismal faith. In a likewise manner, the Church celebrates each year at the Easter Vigil the renewal of our baptismal promises.
- The Sign of the Cross on the child’s forehead: Christ claims this child for his own.
- Proclamation of the Word: enlightens us with the revealed truth of our existence by God and for God.
- Anointed with oil of catechumen on the chest: for strength to reject evil.
- Profession of Faith: the commitment of parents to bring up their child in the faith.
- Water: essential for life, the pouring of water (or immersion) three times while saying “In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”, signifies and actually brings about death to sin and entry into the life of the Most Holy Trinity.
- Anointed with the oil of chrism: signifies the gift by the Holy Spirit.
- White garment and candle: symbolize the baptized has “put on Christ”, and are the “light of the world”.
Catechism of the Catholic Church: 1210-1284
Pastoral Area Support For Parents
We provide a preparation programme spanning a number of months includeing:
- Support of a Baptism Team to guide you and your family.
- Welcome of the child to the faith community.
- Prayers for the child.
- Blessing of the Senses.
- Anniversary of the Baptism.